About Us

A little bit about us

We are a Seasonal 3rd generation family-run hotel opening from mid-March to mid -November. Owners Ronan & Suzanne O’Sullivan and their two small children have recently taken over in 2017 from Ronan’s aunt the legendary host Kathleen O ’Sullivan, who had previously been welcoming guests to Seaview since the 1970’s and his Grandmother prior since the 50’s. Together with their team they strive to continue Seaview’s reputation for unrivalled hospitality and award -winning dining, whereby guests continue to return regularly and some cases every year!


Our team is a small and personal one and we work very well together, some of our staff are longstanding have been welcoming guests back to Seaview for over forty years, with others here for many years also this make the place happy environment, they are really “part of the furniture” as many repeat guests have stated. It makes for a great atmosphere to work in, and a welcoming, homely and unstuffy place to stay and our guest really feel they are Lord and Lady of the Manor.

Our team love getting to know the guests and hearing about their day. They will gladly offer a wealth of local knowledge on where to go and what to see and if you catch Ronan he will depart his local secrets spots that he goes for a bit or respite. And if you just fancy to stay put and lounge by the cosy fire you can be assured you will be left in peace to enjoy a good strong cup of Irish tea served with our delicious home-made shortbreads or even nice glass of wine by the fire or sample local drinks or an Irish whiskey from our extensive lists.


The Hotel has been honoured with many awards down through years:- 2 AA rosettes for Food, AA3 Red Stars Inspectors choice, AA Courtesy & Care Award, Gilbeys Gold Medal Award for Excellence, Michelin and Good Hotel Guide recommended. Georgina Campbell Host 2017, McKenna Bridgestone guides top 100 places to stay in Ireland, Lucinda O’Sullivan little black book amongst many others.


Millie

Justine, Spa Manager

Jane

Name

The History of SeaView House & Ballylickey House

Thomas R. Hurst first acquired Ballylickey House and 16 acres of land from the Mr Hutchins in payment of debts.  Grandfather owned a bar and grocery in Bantry where the Credit Union is now. In the late 1800s, Mr Hutchins debts accrued in the bar.  However the Hutchins family continued to live in the house.

While the Hutchins were still in Ballylickey House Thomas R. Hurst decided to build a similar house on a slightly higher plot of ground in the land which they now owned after taking possession of Ballylickey House, it was to have a better Seaview and was built by O’Sullivan builders ( Jack & Bill). 

This was about 1915. The Hursts had intended moving out of town to live there. They had up to then been living over the shop.  However, Thomas Hurst died suddenly in Jan 1917 which put paid to their plans. The family never lived in the house. His son Edwin (Eddie) Hurst aged 15, was the only son

still at home. His 3 brothers were in the British forces at that stage. After several years, the Hursts bought Beach House and Farm and moved there. (1921/2)

Mrs Hurst (Thomas wife) rented SeaView House first to a local magistrate Mr Conner and then to Mr & Mrs Ryan who turned it into a hotel.  Cosmo Haskard (Governor of the Falkland Islands) said it was known as a "Whiskey Palace" when owned by the Ryan’s!  After that Mrs Hurst sold it to Mrs Cornel

Shaw who had it as a private house. Mrs Hurst continued to hold onto Ballylickey House until the early-mid 1950’s when she sold it onto The Franco Graves Family.

In 1949 John O’Sullivan (Jack Bills) bought Seaview House for £3,900.00 old pounds from Mr Shaw. We still have the original contracts of sale in House. John O’Sullivan was also local property builder who speculated and sold properties at that time he was also owner of the Ouvane falls inn (Pub/Inn

by the bridge in Ballylickey). John O’Sullivan was for many years in the building business (O’Sullivans Contractors) with his 2 brothers Stephen & Mortimer (Murt). They were the main contractors in town for many decades. After a few years John felt that it was too much of a project to take on, so in

1953, he sold SeaView House to his brother Stephen (Jack Bill) for £3,850.00, £50 cheaper however he carved 2 sites out for himself. Stephen O’Sullivan & wife Molly moved out from Glengarriff road (Bantry Town) in 1953 with their 10 children. 2 More arrived after that! Stephen & Molly ran a small

Hotel and Restaurant during the Summer’s from 1953 until they handed over the reigns to Kathleen O’Sullivan their eldest daughter in early to mid-1970’s. Kathleen built on the reputation of hospitality from her parents and grew the business into an internationally acclaimed and award winning hotel. Gaining many accolades for outstanding food and hospitality. Kathleen extended the property twice over the next 3 decades with sympathetic architectural designs in keeping with the building, expanding the restaurant, adding 9 rooms in the early 90’s and a further 9 junior suites in 00’s. Kathleen retired and sold out to Ronan O’Sullivan her nephew in 2017. Today Ronan and his wife Suzanne with their 2 children third & fourth generation are running Seaview. They have decided to keep to the traditional charms of a country manor house renovating rooms in keeping with chic genre but have also adding all the modern conveniences including a small spa at the back of the Hotel.

We hope to continue welcoming guest from far and wide for many years to come.


GET IT TOUCH

Contact Us